Hopefully you can find almond paste to make this cake. You don't want marizpan- it's too sweet and heavy and will sink to the bottom of your cake pan instead of incorporating into the cake. Trust me on this one. Sometime marzipan is labeled as almond paste; don't be fooled! Marzipan lists sugar first, whereas almond paste will list almonds as the first ingredient. I found mine at a gourmet food shop, you can sometimes find it in the grocery store or always online.Although I think I'm the only person I know who would buy a baking ingredient online...
ALMOND CAKE WITH RASPBERRIES
Adapted slightly from Bonnie Stern in The National Post
Makes 8 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz almond paste, grated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract *don't be tempted to add a little more like I sometimes do with vanilla. Almond extract is very strong!
- 1/2 all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor mix butter, almond paste and sugar using on/off pulses until smooth. Or beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, almond extract. Sift dry ingredients, add to batter, and mix.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch cake pan lined on the bottom with parchment paper. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until browned on top and firm to the touch. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then cool on cooling rack completely. Top with raspberries.