Everybody gets on the healthy bandwagon in January, don't they? I am no exception. For two weeks in December I have this mentality that I have to eat every unhealthy thing in sight. I'm looking at you, bake sale at work. I spent $15 in one day on baked goods. And ate them all. Yikes. It also didn't help that it was cold enough that I didn't want to run outside (I draw the line below minus 5 Celsius) so therefore I gave up on fitness for the last couple weeks of December as well. Holy Hell, did I feel gross come January 1 (and not just because of the NYE champagne).
Usually I don't want salads in the winter. This salad however, with it's lack of lettuce, hits the mark. Plus, I don't have to get up from my desk to go upstairs to the lunch room to warm it up. Which I realize is counter-healthy resolution month but I'm just being honest here.
An Amy Original
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- chopped vegetables- I've done cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli or shredded carrot, tomatoes, roasted peppers, etc. Use what you have.
- 2 tbsp reduced fat Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- balsamic vinaigrette, store-bought or recipe below
Toss all ingredients together, adding as much balsamic dressing as desired. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
Makes multiple servings.
This is one of my sorta-recipes. A guideline if you will. I like more vinegar than oil in my dressings, but you can easily change it to suit your tastes.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- a squeeze of honey
- a dollop of Dijon mustard
- 1/2 clover garlic, grated on a Microplane or chopped very finely
- salt and pepper