Friday, April 18, 2014

Quinoa and Chicken Chili


I think this may be my favorite chili I've ever made. Not least because there is basically no prep; minimal chopping, just mix everything in the slow cooker and you come home to a hot, healthy, deliciously filling meal. Fantastic.

I hate it when chili is too watery. Watery chili is up there with slow drivers, one-upping moms, and workplace butt-kissers in my book of Things That Annoy Me. This chili came out the perfect consistency. Plus it makes lots for leftover lunches, which is even more of a bonus lately when I can't just throw together a sandwich (for lack of gluten-free bread, which I hope to rectify when I do grocery shopping tomorrow).

Speaking of gluten-free. I am so stoked for Easter brunch on Sunday. It's going to be a dairy and gluten fest. Then I'll go back to being good. I cannot pass on Easter brunch with dishes like egg and sausage pie, cheesy bread pudding, that I've been eating every Easter for my ENTIRE LIFE. Clearly.

You know what else would be good with this chili, assuming you are good with gluten and dairy? Biscuits. Always a good idea with chili. Oh, I happen to have posted a recipe for Best Drop Biscuits a while back. You're welcome.

QUINOA AND CHICKEN CHILI
Serves 8
Adapted from Everyday Reading
Use less salt if you are not using no-salt added canned goods.
  • 1 540-mL can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 540-mL can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 796-mL can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • optional toppings: chopped cilantro, diced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream
Mix all ingredients up before chicken together in the crock of the slow cooker. Nestle chicken in the middle, ensuring chicken is submerged in liquid. Cook on low 6 to 9 hours. Shred chicken into chili prior to serving. Serve with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment