Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Quiche

Dang, it's been almost 2 months since my last post. It's not that I haven't been cooking- that would be akin to not breathing- but I haven't made anything worth sharing. For some reason everything has been turning out just okay.

I had really high hopes for brownies from Fat Witch Brownies, considering people (in Internet land, not people I know) have said they're the best brownies ever. They aren't even in my top 10 best brownies ever. I made two versions from the book and neither was very chocolaty. Call me crazy, but if I'm going to indulge in a brownie I'd like it to have full on chocolate flavour. I did however make some great pecan bars from the book, so not all is lost. I will be keeping that recipe once the book goes back to the library.

So, the aforementioned quiche. My cousin and her boyfriend, who are awesome and love food and I'm so glad they're back from BC cause I missed them, came for lunch yesterday and kicked me out of my cooking rut. This quiche was awesome. The combo of goat cheese, onions, and mushrooms is delicious, but really anything can go in quiche. Want to make a man-quiche (cause quiche is kinda girly, right?)- add some sausage. Make it Mediterranean inspired with sun-dried tomatoes, olives, roasted red peppers. Or, leave out the crust and make it a frittata.


MUSHROOM, CARAMELIZED ONION AND GOAT CHEESE QUICHE
Serves 4
The pastry recipe will make two crusts, so you can either make two quiches or freeze the half the dough for another use. The key to rolling out pie dough successfully is keep it moving- do a couple rolls, then give it a quarter turn. If it starts to stick dust with a little flour. If it rips when at any point, just press it back together- you're only going to see the edge of it once the filling is in anyway.

  • 1 pie crust- store bought or using this recipe
  • 2 onions, sliced thinly
  • 250 g mushrooms, sliced
  • butter and olive oil for cooking
  • 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
  • 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If using homemade dough, roll out to larger than pie plate and line pie plate with dough. Cut off excess leaving about 1/2 inch overhand. Fold overhang in and press with a fork to make a nice edge. Refrigerate until filling is ready.

Melt some butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, and cover for 5 minutes. Remove lid and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes- don't let them get crispy. Set onions aside. Add a little more butter and olive oil to the pan and turn up heat to medium high. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, saute until golden brown. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl whisk together eggs, yolks, milk, and season with salt and pepper. Remove crust from fridge and place onions, mushrooms, and goat cheese in bottom. Pour over eggs. Bake 30-35 minutes in lower middle of oven, until filling is just set. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment