Monday, November 25, 2013

Sweet Potato and Leek Soup with Epic Bacon Sandwich


In spite of my recent slow cooker fails, I decided to give it another go today. Tyler was seriously considering banning me from the appliance. Much as I banned him from the power drill years ago- I'm the only one who gets to use sweet power tools in our house. I think I am redeemed with this recipe. In fact, we may have both redeemed ourselves today. I made a kick-ass soup, he fixed the microwave by flicking the breaker back on (baby steps people, baby steps).

One Year Ago: Chocolate Pudding 

SWEET POTATO AND LEEK SOUP
Serves 6
Adapted from My Invisible Crown
  • 5 small or 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 large leek, cleaned well and green end removed, chopped roughly
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 cup half and half
Mix all ingredients except half and half. Turn slow cooker to low for 4 to 6 hours. Puree using an immersion blender right in the crock pot or transfer (carefully!) to a blender. Mix in half and half. Serve with a little freshly ground pepper on top.

EPIC BACON SANDWICH
A friend introduced me to this sandwich on the weekend. If you can find cheese bagels it's extra epic, but still pretty good with regular bagels too. 
  • bagel, halved and toasted
  • herb and garlic cream cheese
  • 3 slices cooked bacon
Spread cream cheese on both sides of bagel. Top with bacon and sandwich together. Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment