Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pumpkin Pie

This is another recipe I have now tried out from the last "Bookmarked" post. Told you I was itching to get back in the kitchen after my failed cleanse week. You have no idea how much happier I am cooking without restrictions.

I love it when recipes have something a little different- a "secret" ingredient, a new technique. This pumpkin pie entails the simple step of cooking the pumpkin puree first to get a deeper, caramelized flavour, then mixing the hot pumpkin with the rest of the filling ingredients and cranking up the oven to cook the pie in only 25 minutes. Sounds intriguing, right? This was a pretty good pie, but honestly not the best I've made. That honor goes to Lady Martha Stewart, whose pumpkin pie I made at Thanksgiving. 

For this pie I didn't make my own crust. Tenderflake makes good crust, and if it's good enough for the almost-winner of Top Chef Canada Season 1, Connie DeSousa and the judges*, it's good enough for me. Also, I seem to have a problem with always ending up with extra pie filling. If you call having to bake an extra pie to use it up a "problem". There wasn't quite enough filling left to fill another full pie, so I added a couple of sliced and peeled apples to make Apple and Pumpkin Pie. It was really good. You could also bake extra filling in ramekins to make a kinda-pudding. 


If you want a good, solid pumpkin pie in under an hour, go with this recipe (you never know when you need some pumpkin pie STAT, right?), but if you have more time go with Martha's. Either way is a win in the pie column.

META GIVEN'S PUMPKIN PIE recipe on Food52

*Does anyone else remember that episode? It's the one I remember most because the pie crust was such a revelation

No comments:

Post a Comment