Sunday, April 15, 2012

Soft Scrambled Eggs

I had the best day with my son, Parker, on Friday. I'll be honest- the first year was rough and made me not want to have any more kids. He's 19 months now, so it's just beginning, I know, but so far the toddler years are so much fun! Sure, he has tantrums and sometimes screams at the top of his lungs in the middle of the grocery store, but at least we're now getting some sleep. Everything is doable if you have more than 4 hours of sleep a night.

Parker and I started the morning by watching Samantha Pynn's (I love her interior design style) show Summer Home and drinking coffee (me, not the kid obviously... worst parent ever). Then we went for a long walk. Long time-wise; it was only 1 km to the store but it took us 45 minutes. Parker wanted to pick up every stone, compare every pine cone, chase every robin, and touch his forehead to every tree branch within reach (I've said it before and I'll say it again- my kid is weird and awesome). We went to the grocery store, baked a pie (I cooked, Parker ate gobs of pureed pumpkin the whole time), made a pizza. To end the evening Parker had a fun bath where he "washed" all of his sea animal bath toys. I love getting to know this wild and crazy guy.

Then to top off that wonderful day, Saturday morning I made the best scrambled eggs of my life. I will never make scrambled eggs any other way again. Sure, there are lots of ways to make scrambled eggs- even microwaved scrambled eggs are decent. But nothing compares to these Soft Scrambled Eggs from Bon Appetit this month. They are custard-y, buttery, and don't take all that much longer than your standard scrambled eggs. Mother's Day is coming up and your mother wants you to make her these eggs. Trust me.

SOFT SCRAMBLED EGGS
The above link also has a video on how to make these eggs, with great tips on the technique. I cooked mine a little further than how they do it in the video- personal preference. Also, I started the eggs just above medium heat and then reduced to medium-low when they started to cook. I have a gas stove, but if you are using electric I would stick to medium-low the whole time as you don't have the instant temperature control of gas. Also, I use salted butter for everything. So although the original recipe calls for unsalted, salted is fine too but you probably won't need to season with more salt.
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tbsp butter, divided
  • pinch cayenne pepper or ground black pepper (I prefer black pepper, but the eggs won't be as uniform in colour)
  • salt to season, if required
Combine eggs, 1 1/2 tbsp butter, cayenne in a small saucepan. Place over medium-low heat, whisking gently and constantly while scraping bottom and sides of pan, until eggs are just thickened, creamy, and small curds begin to form, 3–4 minutes total. (If mixture begins to stick to pan while cooking, remove from heat; whisk gently for 30 seconds, then continue cooking over heat.) Remove from heat. Add 1/2 tbsp butter; whisk until melted. Season with salt if needed. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment