Monday, April 2, 2012

Vegetable of the Week: Cabbage

A new low on Four Seasons Kitchen; the chicken fingers on this sandwich are from a box
Sometimes people think I'm all fancy and such. I know this because they'll say "Amy, you're so fancy and such", generally after I talk about making ricotta or caramel or something. Sure, I also like to wear (fake) pearls, I've been to France, and I try to emulate Martha Stewart in my decor, but here's the thing- I also like chicken finger sandwiches. And potato chips on my burgers. That coleslaw in the photo above? Made with bottled Thousand Island dressing. Who's fancy now? Not I.

Cabbage is the ultimate cheap healthy food. I have had a head of cabbage in the fridge for probably almost a month and it's still good. Seriously. This thing was the size of a basketball and it only cost a dollar. A dollar! I've just been slicing some off, wrapping it up in plastic wrap, and sticking it back in the fridge. Amazing. Here are some recipes from the Four Seasons Kitchen archives and others that I have bookmarked to try.

Two Years Ago: Nada 

APPLE AND CABBAGE COLESLAW

Grate 1 apple and 1/4 head of cabbage. Mix in bottled dressing (Ranch would be good, Thousand Island wasn't the best choice as it turns out), a splash of apple cider vinegar, and season with a little salt and lots of pepper. Stir to combine.

CABBAGE RECIPES:
Sweet and Sour Cabbage (Four Seasons Kitchen)
Fried Udon Noodles (Four Seasons Kitchen)
Potato, Cabbage, and Leek Soup with Lemon Creme Fraiche (Bon Appetit)
Cabbage and Kale Soup with Farro (Food and Wine)
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cabbage and Pine Nuts (Food and Wine)
Cottage Pie with Irish Cabbage and Peas (Chef Anthony Seklak via Steven and Chris Show)

No comments:

Post a Comment